In the City of Sex 💋💅🏽❤️



 I graduated with an Associate of Arts degree in Journalism from Georgia State University Perimeter College in May 2022. I decided to call my journey as an aspiring journalist " Operation become the African American Carrie Bradshaw"! It's probably peculiar to some people why, I, a black woman, aspires to be in the same conversation as a white woman when there are so many other more revolutionary options to choose from. It has less to do with Carrie Bradshaw as a person, and more so to do with what Carrie Bradshaw represents. I want to show that Black women can have the luxurious vacations and spa dates. I want to show that Black women can have the exciting, vibrant, healthy romantic relationships and sex lives. I want to show that we can have the healthy, heartwarming friendships and relationships with fellow Black women. I want to show that Black women can be successful in their careers while having the enjoyable social lives , and self care hobbies like yoga and dining at top restaurants. We can have the designer fashion and deserve the designer labels like White women.  There are very few artistic mediums that depict Black women as being prosperous and living fulfilling lives. So much of the creative content in the media depict Black women as being synonymous with struggle, lack, poverty, uncultured, dysfunctional, and not worthy of celebrating the people we were before we were forced on foreign land. Slaves did not come from Africa. People came from Africa and were made slaves. Living your best life in every arena as a Black woman is reclaiming who you were before who you were told to be the way your ancestors would want. As a Black woman you are abundant, amazing, and a walking miracle and blessing for both white and black communities, and the culture at large. So my Operation become the African American Carrie Bradshaw is rooted in casting a glow of positivity around lifestyle, dating, love, relationships, and culture in the perspective of a single Black woman, in the same way Carrie Bradshaw did as a single woman in Sex and The City. I had no idea how much of an impact the show would have on my mental health and my perspective on so many things women go through when their in the pursuit of living their best lives. I just wanted to shed some light on where, how, and why the Sex and The City in my work heavily influenced  my aspirations as a journalist and writer. I hope this helps explain the motivation behind so much of my writing and work. All my love mermaids! Xoxo 🩷🌸🩷 🌸

Comments

Popular Posts